Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Whats there in the name ??

27 characters..... Family Name ,Father's name ,My name :)

SODANKUR RAMAKANTHAN SRIVIDYA

srividya.sodankurramakanthan@[company-i-work-for].com ..

I usually don't dictate my company id to anyone because either they will end up saying "What a looooooooooooooooong id!!!" or "Oh my god !!!" or they end up doing a spelling mistake !!!!

I always had this confusion with Surname, First Name ,Last Name ,Maiden names .etc..etc..etc . I guess even my teachers had that confusion ..I remember the days of B.Sc . Every year for 3 consecutive years..

The lecturer would come to the class..

We all wud stand and go "Goodmorning Sir/Madam ". He or She wud wish us back and we would sit down ..Then they would take out the attendance register and start calling out names one by one..

"Amar"
"Deepthi"
"Divya"
"Kishan"
"So..." [Lecutrer finding it difficult to read the name ]
"Soda...".[Lecturer finding some familiarity with the name...]
"Sodankur..."[Finally managed to read my SURNAME !!!!]

and then i wud raise my hand and say "Srividya Sir !!" /"Srividya Madam" :o [With all heads turned towards me! ]

This same process would continue for 1 week with different lecturers ...and by this time everyone knows the moment the lecturer stumbles on a name while calling the attendance its my name :o) !!

After completing the 3 years of my B.Sc degree just before exams we had this session with college principal where in all the final year students were there and we were being handed over a certificate as a remembrance that we studied in this particular College.. All of us were having fun ..clapping our hands ..shouting as each of our names were called ..and then i suddenly hear the person with the mike fumble ... and he goes...

"Soda ..." .."Sodankur".. [Not again ... This is not even the first few days of 1st year/2nd year/3rd year ,oh ! I C its the first time you are reading my name ..Hmmm ..then okay !! Chalega !!! ]

All my classmates turn around to me and give me a as-usual-smile :) and some of them even shout my full name !!
The certificate reads
"Dear Sodankur ...... We are happy that you were part of St.Aloysius College......"

I collect my certificate with a thanks-for-making-my-family-name-so-famous-smile and it read

My friends still remember my full name :o) !!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

:)
I remember one good film in tamil called "Thillu Mullu" (meaning "Gol maal") in which Rajnikanth will be deceiving his prospective boss during the interview by acting like a highly disciplined citizen. During his intro he says his full name that goes like "Ayyampettai Arivudainambi Kaliyaperumal Chandran" hahaha... "Ayyampettai" being his native, "Arivudainambi" his grandpa's name "Kaliyaperumal" his father and "Chandran" his name...
A funny movie... classic comedy.
In fact my name is also a long one "Sangamangalam Rudrapathi Pillai Jayavel Mahendran" hahahaha...
But thank god, my dad got my birth certificate with just my name. :)
Anyways, having such long names is good in one aspect that people wont forget us at least for a unique name. And it's just now that ppl in TN have short names. My grandpa used to tell me that in those days, name is a matter of pride and gives an identity for a person so that when ppl hear a name they can understand a person's background and so on.

Good post! Good humour.

Anonymous said...

But why not the order be, ur name, father's name, family name? that way it woould just be - srividya, right? :)

aydiv said...

Thanks Mahen /Sangamangalam Rudrapathi Pillai Jayavel Mahendran :) !
Thanks Aditya .Glad that you liked the pics.
Kishore :My name was given like that in the college at the time of joining itself !